Monday, July 17, 2017

Review - Beneath the Skin


 (Click on the image for more info/ordering)
Title: Beneath the Skin
Author:  Carolyn Hill
Publisher and Copyright: Venus Ascending, ©2017 Carolyn Hill
Price:  $3.99 (Kindle) $15.00 (Paperback)
Cathbad’s Rating: 8.5 of 10
A Review by, Cathbad


Beneath the Skin


          Well, I have to admit, reading reviews and seeing what others have said about this book, I had a preconceived idea about it – and I was sure it wasn’t a book I was going to like, no matter how well written.

          Color me chagrined.

Well, let me start by telling you a bit about how the book begins:

Aleta Graham is an empathic healer, in service to the Dagarro family – enslaved by a powerful drug called sand (or pearl, in its more concentrated form).

Her body was developing a bit of a tolerance for the drug, and Aleta decides she must escape, while she has the chance.  She determines to escape –or die.

Aleta finds a surprising ally in her escape attempt in a computer wiz called Merlin, in whom she sees comparisons to (in her drug-addled brain, at least) Darcavon, the ruthless new Seneschal of Family Dagarro, her enslavers.

Not trusting her new ally, she escapes him, too, and makes it back to her birth home, Gypsum, where she is both needed - and not wanted.

This is a great story, with all the elements of  great story – political intrigue, murder, good versus evil factions, class warfare, exciting action, and, above all, a love story.  There are even elements of fantasy in this science-fiction story.

Heck, no matter your favorite genre, you’ll love this book!

So, now I’ll have to justify my rating.

I rarely give a 10 to any novel, but this book was clearly a contender for a 9.5 rating – if not for one major factor.  One glaring problem that I felt deserved a full point drop.

EXTREME SPOILER ALERT!

I can think of no reason at all that this empathic healer couldn’t recognize that Merlin and Darcavon were, indeed, one and the same person.  Even after touching him and acknowledging the same sense of being in each, and knowing Merlin’s ability to look like someone else, Aleta still seemed convinced they were two different people.

This, from an otherwise strong and intelligent woman, I found beyond my ability to believe.

But Aleta is a strong person, and one of the best female protagonists to fill the pages of a novel in quite a while!

I have no doubt that anyone who reads this novel will have a delightful experience. 

So don’t be like me.  Stow away your preconceived notions, sit back, and enter the well-designed universe Carolyn Hill has given us.  Enjoy!


I rate this novel 8.5 out of 10.





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review! I'm happy that you enjoyed the book. :)

    ReplyDelete